Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] CLOSED: Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName?

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 03:47, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> writes:
>
> > On Dec 3, 2003, at 7:48 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> >> <root xmlns:p="http://www.example.org/">
> >> </root>
> >>
> >> Now, just what Web Resource does the QName 'p:title' identify?
> >
> > None, because it is not a URI and there's not a canonical way of
> > mapping it to a URI.
>
> So just to be sure we're on the same page, do you agree with DanC that
> this means that the way in which XML 1.0 plus Namespaces makes use of
> QNames is inconsistent with the principles of Web Architecture?

Take care with quantifiers, please.

Some uses of XML+Namespaces are consistent with web architecture,
e.g. the way RDF maps qnames to URIs, and some are not, like
the example above.

XML+Namespaces overlaps with Web Architecture; some uses
contribute to the Web of resources, some don't.

The ones that don't aren't necessarily evil; they
just don't participate in the network effects.

> If so, isn't that a bit of an embarrassment, at least?

No, just an issue to be aware of.