RE: Hlink, CSS anyone?

Didier,

On Sat, 2002-09-28 at 21:48, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric said:
> No, I don't think that XSLT would need to be updated: XSLT processes
> trees but do not define which operations may or may not be done before a
> tree reaches it.
>
> Didier replies:
> Eric why do say that? Its obvious that XSLT will have to be updated
> since if the mapping is defined in a css document it will need to get it
> in order to know the mapping. Can you explain in detail how, if the
> mapping is contained in a CSS document, an XSLT engine will be able to
> process the mapped object. Concretely speaking, let's say that the src
> attribute is inherited from the xlink:href attribute. How will you do to
> process a document containing only elements with the scr attribute and
> having them matched with a template like the following <template
> match="@xlink:href" >. How would you do that?

If I feed the XSLT processor with the output of the SAX filter which I
have proposed this morning, the XSLT processor will "see" xlink:href
instead of src and I don't need to change anything in XSLT (nor even to
the processor) for this.

Why would it be different if the filter was reading a HLink declaration
using a CSS format than it is when it reads HLink/xml?

> Eric said:
> Jeni is right (IMO) when she says that a processing model could be
> defined and this processing model could add CSS properties to the tree
> if needed (pretty much like a SVG DOM consolidates information from XML
> and information from CSS).
>
> Didier replies:
> Yes I requires a modification of the existing XSLT specs and processing
> model. It needs to import a CSS document to know the mapping.

No, all it requires is a modification of the layer which reads a
document and send it as SAX events, DOM or whatever to the XSLT
processor.

> Eric said:
> This kind of operation which can be done by a SAX filter as I have shown
> for HLink would be slightly more complex but could be done if CSS was
> used. I think that these are implementation details and several orders
> of magnitude below the level of complexity of current UAs!
>
> Didier replies:
> Yes I know, we can about everything with code. But this is not the
> point. The point is that to support the mapping in CSS document you'll
> need to modify the existing XSLT implementations and you'll need to
> modify the existing XSLT spec.

Instead of modifying the XSLT processor, you can modify what the XSLT
processor will see, that's much simpler (and common practice).

> Eric said:
> What is more difficult IMO is to define the *right* architecture and
> model for the hyperlinks.
>
> Didier replies:
> Yes I agree and this is precisely what are all trying to do, this time
> by measuring the ecological impacts to the other W3 domain languages and
> in general to the actual XML architecture (also to the XML legacy out
> there).

Great!

Eric

--