Re: "absolute URI reference" considered awkward (and in one case, overly constraining)

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 02:00:51PM -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> So the term I would like the document to use are as follows:
>
> What: The actual identifier in general, with or without #fragid
> Examples:  http://www.w3.org/    mailto:spam@ftc.gov
> http://www.w3.org/foo#bar
> Old:  Absolute URI Reference
> New:  URI
>
> What: A reference to the above
> Examples:  http://www.w3.org/    /   mailto:spam@ftc.gov  /foo#bar   #bar
> Old:  URI Reference
> New:  URI Reference
>
> What: An identifier with no "#"
> Old:  URI
> New:   <need to make something up maybe>

Much *much* better, IMO.

As for the name for the last concept, a couple I've considered are;

- Protocol URI
- Network URI

I chose those to emphasize that this is the kind of URI that is
explicitly part of the "wire contract".  I have a slight preference
for "Network URI".

MB