Re: Enhance XLink: infer xlink:type

On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 06:43  PM, Ann Navarro wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 10/4/2002 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> That is the only reason why anyone would want an XHTML 2.0 -- because
>> they
>> can pre-code the DTD and default stylesheet if it is a standard format.
>
> The *only* reason someone would want an XHTML 2.0 is to be able to hard
> code semantics?

Yes, because that is the only difference between ad-hoc XML and a
standardized language within XML.  HTML is SGML with a pre-coded DTD
and default stylesheet.  XHTML is XML with a pre-coded DTD and default
stylesheet.

> I can't be anything other than flabbergasted at such a suggestion.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised that folks seem to have forgotten the
very basis of the technology that is being defined.  I was flabbergasted
when someone told me that XHTML 2.0 would not be backwards compatible
with HTML, since that is the only reason I use XHTML 1.

....Roy