Re: XHTML needs multi-ended links

Ann Navarro wrote:

>> Go to http://www.cisco.com, do a view source and look at the brutal
>> javascript/form hack they use to "select the area" of the website you
>> want to go to.  That'd be nice & clean with a good XLink extended-link
>> implementation.  This is common (mis-)practice at dozens of
>> big-company web sites.
>
> See navigation lists <nl> element

Hm, if you think you *might* be building in XLink support, you might
want to put <nl> on hold for a bit, since it could be done trivially
with one reserved value for xlink:role on the parent (probably still
<nl>) element.  On the other hand you might not, I can see someone
making an argument that this is a common enough idiom that it deserves
its own markup.  Once again, it would be nice to look at examples of how
you might do it both ways and think about cost/benefit trade-offs.

A question: how would you model <nl> with HLink?  I don't see it in the
HLink WD in a quick scan.

> As for extended links in general, it's a "would be nice" issue for me --
> but ONLY after we get simple linking worked out. Until then, it's a
> non-starter.

As I've said, I think that HTML has already done a superb job of working
out simple linking; it's given the world what it wants and the world has
embraced it.  What's to work out? -Tim