RE: SOAP's prohibiting use of XML internal subset

Noah,

I think the issue of subsetting XML is relevent to groups other than XMLP,
and is thus clearly architectural.  XMLP probably doesn't want to own the
solution to the XML-wide issue of subsetting.  The TAG document is starting
to make specific mention of usages of XML.  Indeed, I'm pretty sure the
original comment was made as a result of a TAG presentation of new material
on usage of XML.  I strongly believe that the TAG document should say
something about subsetting of XML, and this would help a fairly wide
audience.  IMO, part of the job of an architect is to take a look at a
particular problem/issue, and see whether it has a wider scope.  This fits
in my books.

Now it so happens that xmlp has done considerable trailblazing in this area.
I personally think that the subset of XML that is used by XMLP is usable by
a wider audience.  I've regularly and enthusiastically supported XML
profiling efforts [1], such as Tim Bray's XML-SW.  I guess I look at the
glass half full.  This is a good opportunity for the TAG to look at the
issue of how the family of XML specifications fit together, and perhaps do a
bit of refactoring.  I also think there's little chance of the text of soap
1.2 spec changing as a result of this discussion.

I turn the question around to you.  If there's a process foul, that means
that the TAG can't or shouldn't look at the issue of subsetting/profiling of
XML because 1 spec is after Last Call?  I doubt that you think that way.

So my appeal to you Noah, is that you think of this in the context of
benefits to a larger community than just SOAP.

Cheers,
Dave

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2001Dec/0022.html

<snip/>