 From: Svgdeveloper@aol.com [mailto:Svgdeveloper@aol.com]
 Sent: Wed 11/20/2002 8:41 AM
 To: M.D.Wilson@rl.ac.uk; www-tag@w3.org
 Subject: Re: proposed TAG issue: future web architecture

 In a message dated 19/11/2002 20:24:59 GMT Standard Time, M.D.Wilson@rl.ac.uk writes:

  TAG members

  It was stated at the AC meeting today that the TAG wanted to hear requests
  from AC memebers of issues to address. The issues I would like to see
  addressed all group as the future web architecture:

  what is the current modular structure of the W3C recommendations and their
  interactions ?

 Professor Wilson,

 One issue which many in the XML community are concerned about is the design of W3C XML Schema which seems, to at least several of us, to be inadequately modular and to impact adversely on interoperability.

 W3C XML Schema has caused a significant amount of hostility in parts of the XML community due to its imposition in other specifications. This process, which I tactlessly refer to as "schema fascism", is unsatisfactory and unwelcome. If W3C XML Schema were fully modular the adverse effects would be substantially alleviated.

 I would therefore request the TAG and AC to review how W3C XML Schema can be improved so that it is fully modular.

 I am aware that version 1.1 of W3C XML Schema is under consideration but, to the best of my knowledge, version 1.1 is unlikely fully to address the deficiencies of and problems caused by W3C XML Schema 1.0. I have in mind a much more fundamental review which examines how W3C XML Schema can be made truly modular.

 I hope that the TAG and the AC have the vision to approach this suggestion with vigour.

 Regards

 Andrew Watt
 "XHTML 2.0 - the W3C leading the Web to its full potential ... to implement yesterday's technology tomorrow"