Re: RDDL/RDF

jonathan@openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) writes:
>> I can't say that I opposed converting RDDL to an RDF form, but I
>> have to say that the last few days of messages have left me asking
>> why exactly this is supposed to be such a good idea.
>>

>Simple (honest) question: which syntax do you find easier to read and
>understand?

At this point, XLink, because I know what it means without any side
trips into the crazy land of RDF.  I don't have to worry about not
understanding what the RDF stuff means.

I prefer rddl:nature/purpose elements to xlink:role/arcrole attributes,
but that doesn't seem to buy me much, as I have little clue (or interest
in) the rdf:description/about surrounding it, and rddl:title is now
stuck as an attribute on that and now we have rdf:resource slapped on
rddl: elements.

Maybe we should just chuck both XLink and RDF in this instance, as they
both appear to obfuscate as much as they clarify...

I'd personally love to see: (h: added to avoid idiot mail archive/reader
problems):
-----------------------
<h:html   xmlns:rddl="http://www.rddl.org/"
   xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
<h:head><h:title>RDDL Description for
hhttp://example.org/L</h:title></h:head>
<h:body><h:h1>RDDL Description for http://example.org/L</h:h1>
<h:p>This document describes the "L" namespace and provides links to
related resources</h:p>
<rddl:resource>
    <rddl:title>DTD</rddl:title>
    <rddl:nature>http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/
media-types/application/xml-dtd</rddl:nature>
    <rddl:purpose>http://www.rddl.org/purposes#validation</rddl:purpose>
    <rddl:prose><p>A DTD for the L language.</p></rddl:prose>
  </rdf:description>
</rddl:resource>
</h:body>
</h:html>

I'm not eager to repeat the "what do namespaces mean" discussions in the
new context of "what does RDDL mean?", and I'm not sure that either
XLink or RDF is much of a generic cure-all for these kinds of issues.

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether