Re: [charmodReview-17] replacing all URIs with IRIs

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 13:48:57 -0500
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
To: Misha.Wolf@reuters.com
re: n-triples supporting character escapes. Yes, my point is that the
software lags far behind the specs.

On Saturday, May 25, 2002, at 05:51  AM, Misha.Wolf@reuters.com wrote:
> RFC 2396, in specifying the use of %HH escaping, does not confine its
> use to UTF-8.  There are plenty of URIs out there which use %HH to
> escape other character encodings.  Once you have a %HH-escaped URI,
> there is no way back, unless you know how it was created.  If an RDF
> database contains some %HH-escaped URIs, how can anyone know whether
> they arrived %HH-escaped, or whether the %HH-escaping was applied just
> before their insertion in the database?

I've heard some rumblings about updating RFC2396 to require UTF-8...

But even so, why does it matter? The worst effect I can see is that some
(broken) URIs are displayed a little funny. Are software going to be
peeking into these URIs for some reason?

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]