RE: TAG document: SOAP HTTP GET binding available

David Orchard wrote:

> A sample usage scenario that I see is that a user creates a web service and
> marks it as "safe".  A tool then automatically generates a SOAP HTTP POST
> binding and a GET binding in the WSDL.  Their runtime software could be
> configured to automatically map the GET invokes into a POST invoke, perhaps
> based upon the "safe" attribute in WSDL.  The user only had to create one
> implementation (the POST) and the user did not have to define the
> transcoding algorithm.

What you are describing is precisely what .NET does today modulo a few
important details.

*  In ASP.NET one provides only one implementation of a service (in the
   form of a .ASMX), and in there one can optionally select via attributes
   which bindings are to be automatically provided by the runtime.  One can
   question .NET's defaults (it currently automatically provides a GET
   binding if the parameters are simple enough), but these are merely
   defaults.

*  The HTTP GET bindings provided are the ones specified in the WSDL
   specification.  I can only presume that you have some issue with these
   as you are now providing a new specification.

Glue's implementation is similar... though to date I am not aware of any
way to override the default nor any way to use these bindings from the
client.

We could discuss what is reasonable policies for defaults, and what "knobs"
a soap implementation should provide, but I would prefer that we start such
discussions based on what is already provided in the standard and
implemented instead of providing yet another binding.

- Sam Ruby