Re: Draft TAG Finding: Consistency of Formatting Properties

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:48:58 +0900 (JST)
To: www-tag@w3.org

Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com> wrote:

> >There's no 'font-family' or 'font-size' attributes in XHTML.
>
> True, but I suspect Norm may have meant something like:

>      style="font-family: serif;
>             font-size: 18pt">
>
> which, I would hope, is semantically the same thing and is
> valid XHTML.

Well, style attribute ... that's another BIG can of worms.  There's
no way to specify the language of contents of the style attribute
in an XHTML fragment unless you also include the XHTML's head section
and specify the stylesheet language via a meta element.  We had
looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
discussion about style attribute and the HTML WG had argued that
the style attribute should be in its own namespace, but we had no
consensus and many vocabularies reinvented the style attribute in
their own namespaces.

If the TAG wants to be involved in this long-standing issue, that's
most welcome ...

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org