WSDL, parameter typing, and forms

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:43:07 -0400
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 11:55:57AM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> One of the interesting places this might lead us, is that if we think that
> there should be typing available for the GET query string, I'm not sure that
> it's a WSD problem.  Seems like mapping Schema to url-encoded nvp is more
> general than wsd.

IMO, this is most definitely a WSDL problem.  HTML forms are currently
more capable than WSDL here; they have a type system[1], and a means to
bind those types to field names.

I don't think it's appropriate to put type information in the URI
because the URI is opaque to the client.  If the client is constructing
a URI, it should only be because the server told it how, with a form.
And in that case, the server already knows the types.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/dtd.html#InputType

MB