Re: Updated: issue qnameAsId-18

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:30:13 +0200
To: www-tag@w3.org, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@sun.com>

On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, 5:10:43 PM, Brian wrote:

BM> Norm,

BM> 1) Can you confirm that the RDF practise of using qnames to represent URI
BM> REF's is consistent with this finding.  If so, you might like to mention
BM> this in section 2.

BM> 2) RDFCore has an outstanding issue to allow qnames as attribute values as
BM> a shorthand for a URI REF.

A URI ref is a single item. A qname is a tuple of URI and local name.
I don't see that one can be a substitute for the other in the general
case.

For specific cases where the RDF assumption is valid that namespace
URIs end with a # and that the URI reference formed by concatenating
the namespace URI and the localname is a valid URI reference, you
could make that equivalence.