Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:16:19 +0200
To: www-tag@w3.org, Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
CC: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>

On Saturday, June 1, 2002, 12:56:30 AM, Keith wrote:

>> So effectively I _think_ you're agreeing that specifications by
>> themselves are more or less useless without requiring conformance from
>> the implementations whose results _are_ the specification as far as most
>> users and developers are concerned.

KM> not useless - they do serve as a specification that implementors
KM> at least consider attempting to adhere to - but this prevents neither
KM> bugs nor proprietary extensions nor failure to implement new features
KM> in a timely fashion.

KM> otoh, a requirement in the specifications to change functionality in
KM> a way which causes more pain to users (e.g. forbidding browser
KM> interpretation of improperly-labelled content) is highly likely
KM> to be ignored.

That makes it sound like an absolute. "more pain" is easy to argue, in
practice it is not a question of more or less pain, which would be
easy, but where the pain shows up and how long after the content
originator has moved on to other things (ie unmaintainable content, or
content succeptible to unexplained mysterious breakage in areas
apparently unrelated to actual changes).