Re: Fwd: Three bits on MediaTypes and IANA

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 01:29, Mark Baker wrote:
> Hmm, odd, it seems some types get their own URI and others don't.
> For example, RTF gets one;
>
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/rtf
>
> A cursory glance of this directory suggests that any media type
> registered through an RFC, doesn't get its own media type.
> How's that for a disincentive?! 8-)

Yes, it seems that the link for a specific sub-type points to an email
request, but if it is in an RFC the link isn't provided.

> I'm all for more HTTP URIs, though I don't know that Eastlake's encoding
> (or any standardized one) is required.

When you're encoding characters in a URI you sometimes might have to do
some escaping and such.

> The relationship between;
>
>   http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/plain
>
> and
>
>   http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/text/plain?charset="foo"
>
> (or whatever URI structure IANA decides to use)
>
> should be made explicit through linking.

What do you mean through linking?