RE: WebArch Ambiguity about Objects, PLUS Suggested Major Replacement

What "impasse" are you referring to?  It decided that the range of "http:"
URIs is for more than documents.

Cheers,
Dave

"http://www.markbaker.ca" was "modified
 > 15 minutes ago".  So we need another way of talking about the
 > representations.

 By "representation" here you seem to mean the data stored in the web
 server.  Conceptually that's not the same as the external data
 representation the server provides in response to a GET (which is
what
 WebArch calls a "representation"), even if they are bit-for-bit the
 same.

 >  With this example, I assert that
 > "http://www.markbaker.ca/index.html" identifies the HTML
representation
 > of me, so it's quite reasonable to make a last-modified assertion
about
 > it.  As Roy mentioned[1], another means of talking about
representations
 > may also be useful.

 I assume you mean that "http://www.markbaker.ca/index.html"
identifies
 a collection of information about you (which happens to be stored in
 HTML and probably English).  And that's what people get when they
GET
 "http://www.markbaker.ca".  And it's also what people get when they
 GET "http://www.markbaker.ca/index.html".  But if you change the
data
 on your system, the last modify time on
 "http://www.markbaker.ca/index.html" changes, but not last modify
time
 on "http://www.markbaker.ca".

 If you really think this is a good design, you're probably right
that
 there's not much point to you and I continuing this conversation.

 It seems to me that the web makes a great deal more sense when one
 thinks of http URIs identifying maintained collections of
information
 (which TimBL just calls "documents").  Is there anything
particularly
 novel, bizarre, or lacking in such an approach?

 > BTW, I don't think we're covering any new territory here from the
 > httpRange-14 discussion, so if you want to continue, I suggest we
take
 > it to www-talk.  Followups set accordingly.

 Forgive me, but it seems to me that you're not understanding me, so
 you're in no position to judge whether what I'm saying has been said
 before.  Of course I may have missed some bit of discussion in the
 past; feel free to embarrass me :-) with some pointers to messages
 which specifically answer my points.

     -- sandro