Re: Posted draft of URI comparison finding

Dan Connolly wrote:

> |Software is commonly required to compare two URIs to determine
> | whether they identify the same resource.
>
> Really? What software has to do that?
> I find that software almost *never* needs to determine
> whether two URIs determine the same resource.
>
> In my suggested rewrite of 2.2.1, I wrote:
>
> [[
> The problem of
> determining whether two different absolute URI references refer to the
> same resource or not is, in the general case, arbitrarily hard.

I've rewritten the first section of the draft in light of Dan's and
Martin's commentes pointing out the fuzziness.  Software has to work
with the strings to determine whether it thinks they're effectively
equal.  There is probably some notion of resource equivalence lurking
behind this, but the strings and therules from the RFCs are all we have
to work with, so let's make that more clear. -Tim