RE: SOAP's prohibiting use of XML internal subset

True and not an entirely shameless plug.

I read the SW and that is why I commented
earlier that this thread would come back to the
question of what should be in the core.  It feels
like spilt milk at this point and I'm not a believer
in namespaces in the core, so yes, there will be
consensus issues.   I would think it easier
to declare proper subsets (where SW or SW- is
a really good candidate for one of these), and
to enable profiles such that subsets can be
combined and named as needed.  Wouldn't that
be easier than a version change (no immediate
references would have to change).  Still, it
is a W3C spec and the SW is a proper subset
were it not the case that namespaces are not
in XML 1.0.  Argggghh... the aggravation of
maintaining consistent myths for evolving entities.

I brought this up only because X3D had the issue
of some thinking profiles are only subsets and
the ISO rep having to bring up the issue that
subsets can be combined.  So what a profile is
and what a subset is should be made clear at jump
to avoid some noise later on.

len

From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> It may be good to start out by separating
> the notions of subset (a proper subset of U{XML})
> and profile (a cross-product of subsets of U{XML}).

Hey, my stake is on the ground on this one: check out
http://www.textuality.com/xml/xmlSW.html - the right answer is

      XML1.1
      - DTDs (& hence entities)
+namespaces
   + Infoset
  + xml:base
      XML-SW

Which *nobody* will need to subset and *anybody* can build on (with the
sole exception of the MathML people, who are stuck with XML 1.* forever
because they want names for all their special characters).

However, it may be the case that not everyone will immediately say "hey
you got it right Tim, argument over."  Hard though it may be to believe,
people may disagree about what should go in XML-NG. -Tim