Re: Context dependant (was Re: Comments on 26 August draft

Am Dienstag den, 27. August 2002, um 22:52, schrieb Mark Baker:

> TAG,
> [...]
> Also, identification can be inherrently indirect.  For example, "the
> nearest gas station".  That is a resource in its own right, though
> dereferencing it will redirect to other resources depending upon the
> context in which it is deferenced.  I also see no problem with this.
>
> So what I might have said in 2.3.1 would be something like this
> (using the newly proposed definition for URI);
>
> "Each valid use of an absolute URI identifies one resource, but the
> resource itself may be defined in a context-sensitive manner.  For
> resources of this type, the result of dereferencing them varies
> depending upon the context in which they are dereferenced.  For
> example,
> "http://example.org/nearest/gas/" may identify "the nearest gas
> station", but the results of deferencing it, including the ultimately
> identified resource (perhaps indicated with a HTTP 301 redirect
> response) will vary depending upon the geographical location of the
> dereferencer (and perhaps other information)."

Me confuses this.

301 is a bad choice since this indicates that "... the requested
resource has been assigned a new permanent uri..." (RFC 2616). But
the "neaerest gas station" resource is still at
http://example.org/nearest/gas/.
It just "points" to a another resource which is the nearest one
according to "context" information. So 302 would be better, but
not ideal either.

The context sensitivity should be better named request sensivity,
since, talking about http, this should determine the response.

The best way to implement "nearest gas station" would be to let
http://example.org/nearest/gas/ return a (request-sensitive)
representation of the specific "gas station" resource and set
the Content-Location header to the URI of that particular gas
station (and set the Vary header accordingly).

So, in my - maybe limited - understanding
"http://example.org/nearest/gas/"
is a resource like any other. It returns request-sensitive
representations
like any other http resource.

Or, to put it simply: I don't get it (context sensivity of absolute
uris).

Rgds, Stefan