Re: "Separation of Content from Presentation"

simonstl@simonstl.com writes:

> I have to say that I'm deeply deeply disappointed by the "generic XML
> considered harmful" bogosity that seems endemic on this list.

Simon,

An interesting aspect of the bogosity, if I interpret your neologism
correctly, is that both Tim ("raw XML") and Kynn ("arbitrary XML") avoid
explicitly saying "Generic SGML/XML on the Web is harmful".

Since the XML 1.0 Rec states, as I mentioned earlier, "The Extensible Markup
Language (XML) is a subset of SGML that is completely described in this
document. Its goal is to enable generic SGML to be served, received, and
processed on the Web in the way that is now possible with HTML." one can see
why they carefully steer away from the term "generic" XML.

It seems to me much healthier to know if Tim, Kynn and others actually hold
that statement in the XML 1.0 REC (2nd Edition) to be false. In other words
not only are the goal posts being moved but the goals too. :)

Interestingly, comparing the February 1998 edition and the October 2000
version shows that the second sentence in the quote above was inserted
between editions. I wonder who did that.

Of course the added sentence is consistent, at least in my reading, with Goal
1. in Chapter 1.1 of both versions of the XML 1.0 REC. If that goal of XML
1.0 is being dumped via the back door then I think the XML community should
be aware of that. If that's not what Tim and Kynn are suggesting it would be
useful if both corrected the impressions they have given up to this point.

Andrew Watt