Re: 13 Aug Arch Doc available for review (skw-...01)

Tim Bray wrote:
> Williams, Stuart wrote:
>
>> I would like someone to be able to read just the Introduction to our
>> document and to come away with an appreciation of Web Architecture. The
>> (current) title of the document is "Architectural Principles of the World
>> Wide Web". A question I would expect to be answered by the end of the
>> introduction is *what* those prinicples are. We have indicated that we
>> aim
>> to minimalist in the sense of state some minimum number of
>> necessary/important/essential principles - so the list should not be
>> unmanagably large. I don't think we should be challenging our readers to
>> 'weed' them out from a longer narrative. I think we should state them
>> together, up front near the beginning of the document and
>> justify/motivate
>> them in the sequel.
>>
>> Different people will approach our document with different intent.
>> Some will
>> approach with a spirit of enquiry; Some to question/challenge whether
>> they
>> share in whatever concensus the document represents; Some in search of an
>> authorative source to resolve an issue... thus spake the TAG. I think
>> each
>> audience is better served by actually stating the architectural
>> principles
>> near the front.
>

> I agree with this 100%. -Tim

One solution is to create a separate page (short, printable) and
draw attention to that page early in the document. If we have
three views:

  1) Principles only
  2) Principles and some fluff like examples
  3) Principles and even more fluff and commentary

I would like "the document" to be view (2), and view (1) to
be separate but readily available.

  _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447