RE: [httpRange-14] What do HTTP URIs Identify?

Hmm.  It seems that all the identifier can do is
identify the authority and the thing asserted by
that authority.  This doesn't argue meaning other
than THAT explicit source asserts THIS.

That is ok.  It doesn't get around having a
minimal two-level system with regards to
interpretive meaning.  One cannot dispute that
this authority says this, but one has to rely
on

1.  Further assertions from that authority
for interpretations

2.  Other assertions that point to that
authority's assertions.

Again, nothing wrong with that.

I believe that we have come to some kind
of consensus here that strongly suggests
why the use of technologies such as RDDL
and RDF have value:  to annotate and
correlate the interpretations.  As has
been stated, the use of the URI to point
to a separate interpretive document is
not mandated, but very useful.  The
role of the URI in the XML namespace as
a syntactical device to disambiguate names
is fixed, not arguable.  The use of it
to cite an interpretive document is not
fixed, but it is wise.   To know what
some authority asserts it means, we have
to ask the cat.

The problem, of course, is to separate
the ownership of the assertion from the
ownership of the knowledge.  The Semantic
Web will be a disaster if we can't do that.
I don't think the solution is technical;
it is legal.  It is also a different issue.

len