Re: [httpRange-14] What do HTTP URIs Identify?

> From: Bill de hOra [mailto:dehora@eircom.net]
>
>> On Behalf Of Tim Bray
>
>>   The
>> Semantic Web has to be able to tolerate the fact that you can't know
>> what a resource is, and thus different parties may not have a shared
>> perception of this, just like the Web needed 404 to work. -Tim
>
> Some of us have been saying just this for a while now. You can't design
> ambiguity out of a system this size or simply wish it away with by
> waving axioms at people, however desirable they are.

No one is (I think, on this list) suggesting that all statements on the
semantic web
will be consistent.  Indeed, the semantic web is designed on the
assumption
that there will be lots of contradictory statements out there.

However, on the web one *does* have a way to own and be the
authority on an identifier,  and there is no right of a third party to
argue that
it means something else.

Tim