RE: [httpRange-14] What do HTTP URIs Identify?

> Michael Mealling
>
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 08:02:07PM +0100, Bill de hÓra wrote:
>
> > [..,] a place where one could say anything about anything.
>
> But which has the special property of knowing whether or not
> the things being said come from an authoritative source or
> not.

Ok. I'll have to learn to resist being assimilated by catchy slogans...

Granting inalienable rights to the authority seems to do interesting
things at the level of the Model Theory. There is no need for an
interpretative step which denotes URIs as representing things in the
world (it's already been done). Figuring out which symbols denote which
things is a key reason for wanting an MT semantics in the first place...

Hmm, right now I'm thinking RDF needs words on naming authorities, maybe
in the primer and the MT. When I was on the wg, I don't recall the
subject of authoritative sources ever coming up... even though
provenance got raised a few times... naming authorities seem important
if RDF is going to be used for provenance.

[Non technically, I'm interested in seeing how third party metadata
plays with the rights of authorities and whether we'll see this web
become litigious as a result.]

> Even in the much ballyhooed "real world" it is widely
> understood that the authority section in a URI denotes an
> ownership quality that means that anything found on that
> server was said by the authority and not some shmuck on the
> street yammering to himself....

What, no speaker's corner?

;)

regards,