Re: URIs: resources and contradictions was: Re: httpRange proposed text

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 07:37:33PM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> Michael Mealling wrote:
> >Given any context (belief system) you can say that it 'means' anything
> >you want it to mean. The issue is that there are two important sets
> >of contexts: one is what the authority that owns/has change control over
> >"www.w3.org" says is the context and the other is what others say
> >that believe about it. Its the difference between opinion and identity.
> >The W3C has the ability to say what "is" while anything said by anyone
> >else is merely opinion. The difference is very important.
>
> How does the W3C go about saying what the resource behind
> http://www.w3.org is?  In a usefully machine-processable way?  The only
> thing I see out there is RDF, so you could have an RDF assertion hosted
> somewhere at w3.org that says
>
>  http://www.w3.org somePropSpace:isA someValSpace:webSite
>
> So your argument is that if there's another assertion using the same
> property and value space that contradicts this but comes from somewhere
> other than w3.org, a reasonable person (and the programs they write)
> would tend to place more weight on the version at w3.org.

That was the assumption, yes. It matches the real world pretty closely.

> This can never be, of course, anything more than a general guiding principle
> issued for guidance to humans.  If the controlling organization is at
> democratic... well, expecting consistency from www.senate.gov/daschle
> and www.senate.gov/lott is not going to work.   -Tim

It has to do with trust and which layer your trusting. If I find
an assertion at www.senate.gov/lott about www.senate.gov/lott then I can
at least trust that it was made by the entity with the authority to do so.
The question about whether or not you trust that authority is at a much
higher layer than software. ;-) Personally, I would trust www.house.gov/paul
much more than I would www.senate.gov/lott when it came to statements about
politics but that's just me...

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net