Re: URIs: resources and contradictions was: Re: httpRange proposed text

Miles Sabin wrote:

> Jonathan Borden wrote,
> > I don't claim that removing ambiguity about the mapping of URI to
> > resource somehow removes all ambiguity in the system ... that would
> > be a miracle. I think we need to move step by step and clarifying the
> > relationship between URI resource and representation would be a great
> > first step.
>
> I agree that that's a valuable goal. But I'm not convinced that making
> the URI to resource mapping 1:1 actually promotes it.
>
> Take http://www.w3.org/ again. You say that there's a 1:1 mapping of
> that URI onto a resource. You also seem to be saying that there are
> contexts where that resource "means" a particular document, and that
> there are contexts where that resource "means" the W3C's web site.
> Right?

I've never said that. If _you assert_ (somewhere, perhaps in a document you
control)

http://www.w3.org/ rdf:type some:Document .

then we assume that _you_ believe this to be true (i.e. it is true in your
context). Personally I'm inclined to believe things said by someone who
controls the www.w3.org DNS entry (which is how I'd personally resolve such
sorts of potential contradictions).

Followups to www-rdf-logic or www-rdf-interest

Jonathan