RE: [httpRange-14] What do HTTP URIs Identify?

At 11:59 AM 8/1/02 -0700, Mike Dierken wrote:

> > > Example:
> > >
> >     <http://example.org/myCar> ex:colour ex:Red .
> >
> > Suppose that I already know that ex:colour and ex:Red are to be
>interpreted
> > as describing the colour of the subject resource in the way that we (as
> > English speaking people) might expect.  Am I to conclude that:
> >     the web page at <http://example.org/myCar> is substantially red? Or
> >     a car described by the web page at <http://example.org/myCar> is
> > substantially red?
>
>Sorry to butt in again, but for me this statement is incorrect.
> >     the web page at <http://example.org/myCar> is substantially red?
>because there is no page /at/ <http://example.org/myCar>

(I assume you appreciate I was speaking hypothetically.)

I used the term 'page at' here as a shorthand for 'document for which one
obtains a representation by dereferencing the URI'.

Roy's comments point to a flaw in this...

Maybe colour wasn't such a good example, but I think could adapt the
idea.  Suppose I designed and built the car.  Then I authored a document
describing the car, and posted that document on the web.  So we might have:

   <http://example.org/myCar> ex:madeBy ex:Me .

I think that this assertion could reasonably be an enduring truth, whether
<http://example.org/myCar> identifies the document or the car it describes.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>