What Are the Payoffs for SOAP? (WAS RE: Comments on draft-hollenb eck-ietf-xml-guidelines-02.txt)

Not quite.  If path dependency for correct choices
requires correct information, you still have the
responsibility to educate the educators.
Then there are those nasty syntax issues.  You
can't ever go home or on vacation again because
the supply of people to be educated is endless.  :-)

Would the quote be more correct if it said:

"The Web is the set of *representations* that can be identified by a URI".

If true, then we know what the Web is.   Can someone tell me why
given the URI identifies a WSDL, SOAP is a bad thing?  If
an information owner chooses to hide representations behind a
single URI, isn't that simply a bet on the payoffs of hiding
the representations?  Fielding says, this is a bad bet but
bases that on "unforeseen uses".  So he assumes payoffs but
can't enumerate all of them.  The information is imperfect (second
degree path dependency).  The REST advocates claim a potential
third degree path dependency but can't prove it exists except
insofar as the benefits of common interfaces are asserted.

At some point, some champion of SOAP must enumerate and
defend the SOAP payoffs.  Then and only then can one begin to
determine if a third degree path dependency exists.

len