Re: Another whenToUseGet-7 counter-proposal

Hi Tim,

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:44:42AM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> Mark Baker wrote:
>

> > I have a better proposal for you.  We have already addressed this issue
> > in the XMLP WG;
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues#x133
> >
> > The resolution to that should suffice for the TAG, IMO.
>
> Huh?  As I read it, the conclusion of the XMLP WG was "Get lost.  We're
> only going to define a POST binding."

Not at all, I held up the resolution of 133 until my concerns were
addressed.  The relevant part of the resolution that made me happy was;

"2) that the HTTP binding that we define on Part 2 Adjuncts *can* be
used in a manner that preserves POST semantics, but that it's up to the
developer to use it that way."

In other words, like I just explained to Dave, nothing's stopping a
developer from *also* using GET, PUT, and DELETE on the same URI that
you're POSTing a SOAP envelope to, and from populating the SOAP body
with a resource representation rather than a method name.

It's important that we separate, at least for this purpose, the SOAP
specification itself from its common use.  As you know, I'm often the
first person to jump on anybody who uses SOAP in a non Web architecture
friendly manner, but that doesn't mean the SOAP spec itself is flawed.

MB