Re: TAG seeks input re www-tag

Seeing as how one very important issue ([HTTPSubstrate-16]) was raised as
part of a discussion which was characterized as "offtopic", I think
any solution that involves restriction of discussion is going to have
unintended consequences.

In general, I think the high volume of email and the lack of focus is due
to the fact that the TAG is still new.  One reward for the TAG doing its
work quickly and efficiently is that this list would hopefully become more
managable, because there's much less open for discussion.

I suggest a clarification/variation on your solution #1:

 - Distinguish between "official" and "unofficial" mail to "www-tag"

   "Official" mail to the tag must be in the official format described
   below, and receives priority status and a reasonable assurance that it
   will be read in a timely manner.

   "Unofficial" mail is all mail that doesn't strictly adhere to the
   guidelines.  It may or may not be addressed by the TAG or anyone.

   Official mail guidelines: All postings must contain an issue number in
   the subject line or have a subject line that says "New Issue Proposal
   for TAG".  All mail which is in response to official mail (e.g. "Re:
   [something-XX]") mail must have a maximum 100 word summary at the
   beginning of the mail summarizing TAG considerations (and why the post
   is still on topic given the subject)

In due time, an autoresponder could be set up to respond to "unofficial"
mail with a FAQ about this policy.

Going with solution #3 (restricting posting) is probably against the
charter, and should be taken off of the table unless a charter revision is
what is being proposed.

Rob