Re: SVGZ support - why isn't there any?

Hello Thomas,

If your question only refers to web browsers, I have been using compressed SVGZ files for a long time.

Before sending SVGZ file like foo.svgz I send html headers:

And in.htaccess add (appache server case):
  AddEncoding gzip svgz

Regards,
Stanisl Jesmanowicz

On 10/20/23 01:19, Smailus (US), Thomas O wrote:

> In a case of, why way does this now not work?  I’m wondering why now (for some years) none of the
> main web browser engines (which are the defacto SVG display engines) do not support SVGZ, the
> compressed SVG format?
>
> Is this a case of not seeing there are indeed use cases they are ignoring, or a case of the
> developers not being cognizant of the state of SVG usage outside of web server delivered content?
>
> There is a real need for supporting SVGZ from FILE: protocol, as a lot of SVG graphics are stored
> on file systems and accessed locally without any service or web server involvement.
>
> --
> Thomas Smailus, Ph.D., P.E., F.NSPE
> *Senior Advanced Information Technologist
> Boeing Information Technology
> */SVG Forum/CoP Lead | Intelligent Graphics SVG Lead
>
> EO&T*LEAP*- 2011/ BR&T HIPO - Cadre 1
> The Boeing Company; P.O. Box 3707 MC 2H-52; Seattle, WA 98124-2207
> Email: thomas.o.smailus@boeing.com       Tel: 425/373-2850        Fax: 425/865-5791

Stanislaw Jesmanowicz, mail: stan <at> decotype <dot> com