Re: Rectangle height and width

On Sat, 09 Jun 2018 18:42:24 +0200, Amelia Bellamy-Royds
<amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I agree with you both that it would be a mathematical convenience
> to >define negative width/height as an inversion of the rectangle, but I
> think it >is far too late to change this now. The restriction on
> negative numbers has >been there since the beginning and is supported
> universally.
But it's a restriction, not a feature. You don't support a restriction,
but adhere to it. By lifting the restriction you don't introduce any
incompatibilities: old SVG files still render properly; however, by
lifting it you do add new possibilities, and make life easier for SVG
authors.

> Furthermore, with SVG 2 conversion of width and height to presentation
> >attributes with matching CSS properties means that we need to match the
> >syntax used for the CSS properties, which have the same restriction.
Matching the syntax doesn't require matching the semantics surely.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton