Re: SVG's future

Hi Douglas,

Your input is greatly appreciated.

To be honest I’m not really versatile with these technical aspects (certainly
not as much as you). I do know that there are always workarounds, but I
always considered that a form of hijacking. With the Java binding you can
do practically everything, but then companies and developers need to know:
SVG + JavaScript, or not?

That is the whole meaning of the W3C.

Regarding asm.js, at a quick glance it seems to me a C-C++ new suit for
JavaScript. It probably responds to a demand by desktop programmers to find
a familiar programming environment when dealing with web applications. But
my take on that is that the claim about memory is not relevant. As far as
speed goes, JavaScript interpreters have already been seen to outperform
compilers in some instances, and on equivalent applications. The claim on
variables is actually a handicap compared to JavaScript variables.
Incidentally, I maintain that JavaScript turned out to be the Object
Oriented language by excellence, for a simple reason that is out of context
to discuss here.

WebAssembly seems to be a format. It claims to be able to “access browser
functionality through the same Web APIs” (as JavaScript). So that refers to
the Web APIs that are already there.

The problem is this: SVG is a library representing a virtual device
interface hosted by the browser (to simplify and frame its identity). In
that respect it’s like the alter ego of OpenGL. Through that interface the
web developer can address the system’s graphical resources (it’s actually
the browser that handles the routines and their translation). This virtual
device interface had to be specified of course, which it was. By that, it
constitutes a capital, an acquired asset on which companies and developers
did capitalize.

Like Olaf puts it in his latest post “I think, there are meanwhile millions
of authors with a lot of content around,
much interested in complete implementations, without a need to worry about
different bugs and caps in different common user-agents, surely a lot of
them
interested as well in a new version of SVG with new features, simplifying
their work or even allowing new types of images.”

I retain in particular “without a need to worry about different bugs and
caps in different common user-agents”.

He also says “what to do to get SVG implementations complete?”, which is a
key question.

So, I don’t know what others think, but I’ve been against workarounds for
years now, estimating that they entertained a sort of legitimization for
the browsers’ vendors bad habits, contrary to what the W3 was planning to
do.

It’s possible that a bunch of kids already started to work like starving
dogs on your suggestion, and that is beautiful in a way, but without
supervision and coordination the whole thing is quite a mission. The de
facto standards that would eventually emerge is an excellent idea, and one
that often worked, and at the end the browsers’ vendors would have to
implement anyway the features that they are now refusing to. But then my
question is: what is this, a circus? Also, it would take a certain amount
of time that might be too long, I think.

Thank you for the friendly warning. I do have legal advice. For retractions
they should give first an opportunity, but so far it’s total silence. A
lawsuit for defamation would automatically expose them to an inquiry, and
that is probably not what they seek. I even think they don’t seek anything
at all. Only in the last reference to “corrupt” there could be grounds  for
defamation, but not even so because I am talking about the right to do it,
not reiterating it, but citing myself. I also clearly gave three times the
benefit of the doubt to try to promote a dialog. I would worry more about
this being one more expression of lack of consideration and contempt from
their part towards everybody.

Best regards,

Domenico Strazzullo