Re: new feature request

On 3/23/15, Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/23/15, Stephen Chenney <schenney@chromium.org> wrote:
>> I can comment on the most effective ways to convince browser developers
>> that feature X is important.

>> 2. Show us a lot of pain from an important group of content developers.
>> The
>> most effective way to do this is to get something working, but in a way
>> that is obviously horrible. It may require complex tools, or perform
>> badly,
>> or not work everywhere. "An important group of developers" is hard to
>> define, but in general we would consider someone with a large audience
>> reach or enterprise customers who would move software to the web. An
>> apropos example is CSS Animations, or CSS compositing, blending and
>> filters. More contentious examples include multi-column layout.

I asked for this consideration when there was discussion about tref.
I have ATC software installed in towers at major airports around the
world that use it in situation displays to shadow text on aircraft
targets.

I believe it was labelled hand waving and not taken seriously.
Someone made the point that I should not get consideration just
because I'm a former group member, which was hardly the most relevant
point.  In any event I started the process of rubbing out the feature
immediately rather than risk depending on the working group to
maintain compatibility for it's installed user base.   It has been
managed, so don't worry about me.

If it isn't a page display browser feature that is used on the web, it
is unimportant.  Tref has been labelled deprecated and we have
sidestepped it.  SVG fonts, which are hella useful in so many unusual
ways, appear to have died because one or two implementers in powerful
positions didn't like them.  SMIL is going now.  It's hard to be
innovative with such a slippery target.  I'd drop SVG entirely if it
wasn't so awesome in spite of these things.

--
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to
criticize.