Re: new feature request

When composing my initial response I thought of how one would address the
multiple SVG application domains, and both Paul's suggestions came to mind.
I think browser developers would be concerned about a fork or web/non-web
features for at least two reasons: in practice we would undoubtedly have
problems with "why doesn't my content render in [your favorite browser]",
and similar but not identical specs for a single problem space leads to
fragmentation and is just a pain for content developers. My personal
feeling is that the community can decide what to do and as browser vendors
we'll take part and then deal with the consequences.

There is no technical argument against having features in the spec that no
browser implements, but some other specialized, say CAD, viewer might
implement, provided those features don't impact browser behavior or
performance. There are non-technical problems, such as maintaining browser
vendor agreement on what features are in or out. To avoid fragmentation and
reduce developer confusion I think it should be an extension or otherwise
clearly delineated piece of spec. And I think it will be hard to get
traction on it within the W3C in the current environment.

Stephen.