Re: new feature request

From: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:17:36 +0900
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi,

A couple of clarifications.

On 2015/03/17 7:21, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
 > Microsoft has publicly refused to implement SMIL, and has persisted in
 > this.

They've simply requested a unified model for animation. They've
indicated they would consider SMIL if such a model existed.

 > Chrome is dropping native SMIL support and replacing it with
 > browser-JS that reimplements in with Web Animations.

We'll possibly do the same in Gecko some day but that's just an
implementation detail made possible by the whole extensible Web approach
and Web animations model. It doesn't change anything from a developer or
spec point of view.

The main problem with SVG/SMIL animation is that it only animates SVG
(except in Firefox). Unless it outgrows that it's never likely to be
mainstream.

Best regards,

Brian