Re: Title element of SVG for popup tooltip

From: Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 16:23:18 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:33:51 +0100, Thomash Lee <ifurkend@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear SVG developers,
>
> There is one issue with the "title" element in SVG which may be worth of
> your attention. I use title element extensively to serve as popup
> tooltip on mouse hover in the following manner:

> It works, at least in Mozilla Firefox, while iOS Safari apparently
> doesn't support popup tooltip yet. The problem is, for long and
> repetitive description, text of this particular element cannot be
> linked, so the following code doesn't work:

The content model of <path> doesn't allow <use> as children, in other
words what you have is not valid svg.

You could do:

<path aria-describedby="asd"/>

Not sure if of the browsers today would use this for the native tooltips
however, my guess is that they won't.

--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group