ya' know

From: David Dailey <ddailey@zoominternet.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 23:40:44 -0400
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Domenico Strazzullo'" <strazzullo.domenico@gmail.com>
Ya’ know what we need?

A way to have the viewBox’s center follow an SVG path and to have its height
and width follow the current x and y of other SVG paths.  It would sorta be
like <replicate> in the way it allows multiple attributes to be handled by
user-defined curves. Vincent Hardy and Erik would understand, since I’ve
started using some of the techniques they used in SVG Wow to try to control
the view port declaratively. Yes, I do program (teaching it for the past 80
years of my life – Alan Turing was not my best student, just saying), but as
one gets older, one values one’s time, and declarative techniques save time,
empirically speaking.  Ahh ! to be young and have so much time!

Here’s what I’m thinking: I want to take something like this

https://ello.co/ddailey/post/jzLoMYDb4BLuOIdZRG6_bQ

(you can use Ello to actually see SVG and not just the code, though they do
enable CodePen too for those who don’t understand pictures). I want to draw
a path of traversal for the center of the view port and to use keyTimes
(keySplines are okay, but following a curve makes a lot more sense, ┐does it
not?!!┐?) to control width and height. Once center (or better yet,
centroid), height and width are animated, then animating x and y becomes
superfluous, methinks.

Cheers

David