Re: SVG animations without SMIL

Brian,

I had not considered how promoting 'd' would affect implementations that
haven't supported SMIL. I wasn't able to find any spec other than SMIL
which have path interpolation so we'd be asking implementations such as IE
to implement SVG path interpolation for the first time. Because the old
syntax is on the way out, this has convinced me that promoting 'd' is not a
practical short-term solution.

Having x, y, width, height, and transform animatable in CSS across all
major browsers is still a pretty nice story for simple effects and it looks
like we will be there very soon once the spec and implementations are
updated.