Re: SVG animations without SMIL

On 2015/06/04 12:04, Shane Stephens wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com
> <mailto:bbirtles@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2015/06/04 3:20, Philip Rogers wrote:
>      > For consistency with the other geometry attributes, I don't see many
>      > costs to promoting 'd' as a simple string presentation attribute. The
>      > proposal would be to have it work just like animating 'd' works
>     today:
>      > string -> string where the interpolation is done on the parsed
>      > representation.
>
>     I'd prefer we don't do this. Apart from the obvious difficulties with
>     SVG path syntax, the requirements for interpolating between two paths
>     are so restrictive (same number and type of segments) as to make
>     hand-authoring path animations almost impossible.
>

> FWIW we could pretty trivially relax this requirement when interpolating
> in CSS. There's no fundamental reason for forcing matching segments -
> all segment types can be arbitrarily split and from memory there are
> adequate representations of each pairwise conversion.

When you actually go to author content though, you very often need
anchor points or some way of describing *how* you want to go from A to
B. For example you often want to say, "This corner point here, it
corresponds to that corner point in that path (despite the fact that the
ratio of segments before and after is completely different)."

Flash has shape hints for this and you can see the difference between
the default tween and a hinted tween between the outline for M and N
here.[1]

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/learning_guide/animation/part12.html

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/archive/flash/articles/concept_shape_hints.html
also has another demo compared an unhinted morph from 5 to 3 with a
hinted morph from L to Z