RE: Trailing semi-colons (Re: Agenda, 11 September 2014 SVG WG telcon)

It looks like Brian's information is much more up-to-date and informed than my casual recollections. I might be able to resurrect some examples in which the behavior (in typical browsers of the day) relied on values="4;5;6" being different than "4;5;6;" with both having useful interpretations, but please don't hold the bus while I try to find such things! I merely recall, for certain, being surprised that the last semicolon actually did something! And I didn't mean to suggest that "4;5;6;;" with two semi-colons should have real meaning. That was just an example of something I didn't think should mean anything.

Cheers

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Birtles [mailto:bbirtles@mozilla.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:19 PM
To: Erik Dahlström; www-svg@w3.org; David Dailey
Subject: Trailing semi-colons (Re: Agenda, 11 September 2014 SVG WG telcon)

On 2014/09/10 21:48, Erik Dahlström wrote:
> Hi David,
> do you happen to have any examples that expect a single trailing
> semicolon to mean there's an additional empty value at the end?
>
> Ideally I'd like all list-of-something to follow the same pattern of
> allowing/ignoring a trailing separator, which seems to be how most
> browsers handle such attributes, see e.g http://jsfiddle.net/u6s671gb/4/.

This has been discussed before:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2011Nov/0136.html

There is a more thorough test case here:

   http://brian.sol1.net/svg/interop/semicolon-test.svg

It seems Chrome is inconsistent in where it allows trailing semi-colons and where it does not.

I'd rather we just resolve this on the list if possible.

Thanks,

Brian