RE: Question on Connectors in SVG

I just happened to notice that SVG-Edit (from Jeff Schiller and friends)
also has support for connectors (drawn in the se-namespace).

Cheers

From: Armin von Helden [mailto:armin.von-helden@ericsson.com]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2014 7:13 AM
To: www-svg@w3.org
Subject: Question on Connectors in SVG

Dear SVG editors,

I'm working in the IP networks area in Ericsson and in my unit we work a lot
with network diagrams, which are being used for network design, network
verification, network management. A variety of network drawing formats and
tools are being used, MS Visio is a good example.

What we are missing is an open vector graphic standard, which supports the
world of IP networks and related diagrams. A very important element is the
"Connector" type, which is quite good supported in MS Visio and yED.

So I found W3C Editor's Draft for SVG Connector 1.0, Part 2 from Jan. 2011
interesting

http://dev.w3.org/SVG/modules/connector/SVGConnector.html

and also a proposal for SVG Connectors:

http://tavmjong.free.fr/SVG/CONNECTORS/index.xhtml

Unfortunately I don't see these "Connector" structures in the upcoming SVG 2
working draft:

http://www.w3..org/TR/SVG2/ <http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG2/>

and also the powerful SVG tool Inkscape has only very basic support for
Connectors. MS Visio is much more powerful here.

My question to you is, if "Connectors" will be part of the final SVG 2
recommendation.

>From my point of view and I think also for world leading network operators
(Ericsson's customers) a better standardization & support of network
diagrams is desirable.

Many thanks and best regards

Armin von Helden

 <http://www..ericsson.com/> Ericsson

ARMIN VON HELDEN Dipl.-Inf.
Senior Systems Tester
Development Unit IP Routing

Ericsson
Ericsson Allee 1
52134, Herzogenrath, Germany
Phone +49 173 543 1941
armin.von-helden@ericsson.com
www.ericsson.com

Legal entity: Ericsson GmbH, registered office in Duesseldorf. This
Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis
of the terms set out at www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer