Re: Question on Connectors in SVG

Hello,

obviously no one from the SVG WG intends to answer, so I might try to
give some helpful comments, although I am no member of the SVG WG ...

... but the very same topic ("status of connectors in SVG") was raised
by me on the very same list just four months ago (see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2014Jul/0006.html). The
answer that time was basically "generally under consideration", but "not
enough interest in the WG ", "no big need/not enough usecases", and "no
implementor/browser support", to make it high priority.

Then, I even made an own proposal which would not need a special
"connector" element, but just a <point> to be used as a reference within
any other element using coordinates (line, polyline, polygon, path, and
even circle or rectangle might use reference points instead of concrete
coordinates), complemented by a demonstrator implementation and several
usecases as examples. As I had five minutes time at the weekend, I added
your usecase (network diagram) as another one ;-) If you are interested,
you might check it (and maybe use it, enhance it, and thus make it more
"impressive") at http://jroethig.de/geolog/connector.html#l2demnetworks

Best regards,

Juergen Roethig

BTW: Since then, connectors had been a topic again on the list and even
discussed somewhat in a SVG F2F ("TPAC") meeting end of October, but the
"result" (i.e. "no high priority") still seems to be the same as before.
And well, someone who is not in the WG has obviously no possibility to
"push" a topic, as my proposal had not even been mentioned at that
meeting, at least according to the minutes.