Re: Clean-up SVG2 spec

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2014, at 10:26 AM, Charles Lamont <charles@gateho.gotadsl.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > There are two related issues here. The first question is about how to
> > write specs. Dirk says "We should remove all redundancy." and David says
> > "Ease of use of a spec by authors is a fundamental concern." More of
> > this in a minute.
>
> I disagree. There is no point in having redundancy to CSS for neither
> implementers nor authors. In fact, the redundancy is in comparison to CSS
> 2.0. Many things have been fixed and continue to be improved. Instead of
> merging all these changes back and significantly increase the spec text to
> cover everything from CSS 2.1 (very soon CSS 2.2), all CSS3 specs and all
> new specs is illogical. Instead we should create a global environment where
> SVG fits in to. CSS does that by creating modules. Pulling all these
> modules back into SVG would increase the size by a magnitude. How can this
> be readable for implementers or authors?

I agree with Dirk that having redundancy makes things more difficult for
editors, authors and implementors.
In addition, if there's a change or addition to a CSS module, someone would
have to change the SVG spec in tandem. This is error prone and will also
make it so the SVG spec gets revised constantly.

Personally, I'd like us to focus on writing a spec for implementors. The
newer spec are designed with precise normative descriptions of the
algorithms and non-normative introductions and examples.
This way, we can spend all our time in the WG on refining the algorithms
and normative text while changes to examples and the introductory text for
authors can be made at any time.