Proposal: <star> element

From: Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 04:58:16 +1300
To: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
Hi all

I've put together a humble little proposal for a new class of shapes - the
"star polygon".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_polygon

Adding support for star polygons would allow the author to easily produce
not only the regular polygons (pentagon, hexagon, etc) but also the related
star shapes.

My draft definition for a new <star> element can be found here:

http://paullebeau.com/svg2/star/star.html

I've also created a polyfill script which can be used if you want to have a
play with the shapes.
The script works in Chrome.  I haven't tried getting it working in other
browsers.

The script is here: http://paullebeau.com/svg2/star/star.js

See http://paullebeau.com/svg2/star/star03.svg for an example of an SVG
that uses the script.

Regards

Paul

PS. Just discovered that there was a similar proposal from Doug Schepers
back in 2005.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2005Aug/0070.html

I can't find what, if anything, became of it though.