Re: SMIL vs JavaScript (was: SVG API for canvas)

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:10 PM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> (2014/06/12 14:04), Rik Cabanier wrote:
>
>> For instance:
>> - can we give them their own worker? (faster + synchronous events won't
>> block main thread)
>>

> I thought that this will be possible with CanvasProxy.

Somewhat. It still needs commits from the main thread to keep frames in
sync.

>  - would they be satisfied with a lighter DOM? (ie only SVG/Canvas/WebGL)
>>

> Are we still talking about running in a worker here?

yes

>  - would they be interested in an animation model or does JS work fine
>> for them?
>>

> I've been thinking about making custom effects in web animations exposed
> to workers. That would make writing JS animations simpler and make reusing
> main-thread code easier.

That would be cool. Would they run in the worker and animate from there?

> Regarding frame-based animations. I think we can provide a frame-based
> timeline where you configure, for example, how much time increments on each
> sample (perhaps with tolerances).

I'm not entirely sure if frame-based is a hard requirement. The nice thing
it offers is that the synchronization and the guarantee that your routine
is called x times per second. If it can be emulated with seconds, that's
likely good enough.