Re: Outlines for new Implementation guide documents for Core (previously WAI-ARIA), HTML 5.1, and SVG2

Hi Brian,

I can see your point wrt. a group. I can suggest alternative text. The HTML
spec. allows it on all elements but there are places where we would not
have a mapping. I would refer to not make it applicable on all elements
but,

Here is the role definition in HTML5:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/dom.html#aria-role-attribute

I redefine the text similar to the text we put in HTML5:

This is an ARIA Role attribute as defined by [ARIA] Section 5.4 Definition
of Roles.

The attribute, if specified, must have a value that is a set of
space-separated tokens representing the various WAI-ARIA roles that the
element belongs to.The WAI-ARIA role that an SVG element has assigned to it
is the first non-abstract role found in the list of values generated when
the role attribute is split on spaces.

The implementation guide will define how SVG elements and their attributes
map to platform accessibility API services on OS platforms. It is important
to note that because SVG objects are persistent there will be instances
where accessible objects are not created to improve performance, reduce
memory footprint, and allow for greater assistive technology performance.

Thoughts?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger