Re: Proposal: <star> element

Adding <star> means every SVG user/implementation will need to carry around
the star generation code. This will be a net-negative for users unless we
have data showing hand-authored stars are sufficiently popular[1]. There
may be an argument here for <triangle> but my intuition is that neither
stars nor polar coordinate path primitives meet this bar.

Dr. Olaf Hoffmann,
Both <star> and polar coordinates for paths would certainly be helpful for
some authors. My worry is that these proposals make SVG larger, slower, and
more complex in order to support a small subset of users. Do you think we
might be able to extract out a subset of your request (possibly as a tool
or separate spec module) that would benefit SVG authors without burdening
existing tools and implementations?

[1] One way to collect this data would be to scrape Wikipedia's SVG corpus
and determine what percentage includes non-trivial paths with radial
symmetry.