Re: SVG fonts: [ was RE: minutes, SVG WG TPAC F2F 2014, day 2]

On 11/15/13 4:13 PM, Jelle Mulder wrote:
> Okay and now I just want to use 100 characters out of my 15.3 Mb 182.000
> character font set, rather than the whole thing to prevent my file from
> being bounced by all those 2Mb max mailboxes out there. How do I do this
> from my SVG capable wordprocessor?

Does your wordprocessor have font subsetting capabilities for fonts it's
embedding?  If not, you file a bug report on whoever created the
wordprocessor to add that feature.  A number of wordprocessors will in
fact do this automatically when you embed fonts.

For the other cases, there are various options but the simplest is
probably that there are now (and have been for several years) multiple
services precisely for creating @font-face variants of fonts you already
have which feature subsetting as one of the capabilities they provide.
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/10/20/review-of-popular-web-font-embedding-services/
is a somewhat old review of the options.

-Boris