Re: SVG fonts: [ was RE: minutes, SVG WG TPAC F2F 2014, day 2]

From: Robert Longson <longsonr@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:11:59 +0000
To: www-svg@w3.org
> It's a shame that we are giving up on SVG fonts, it's a great feature.

You're biased because you read and write a language thar SVG fonts can support.

>I don't use them because two major platforms have decreed that they won't
> implement them for various reasons that I have never understood.

Try writing something in Devangari using SVG fonts and you might
change your mind.
The web is for everyone, not just those people that read/write Western
European languages.
The firefox developers have made this point on several occasions.

> SVG fonts rock, they have so many uses beyond the description of text, and
> implemented properly they would do that in ways that regular fonts cannot.

SVG glyphs in OpentType should solve such issues and have proper
language support.

Best regards

Robert.